Last week, a branch of the World Health Organization weighed in on the much debated question of a cell phone/brain cancer link. The International Agency for Research into Cancer (IARC) announced that "radio frequency electromagnetic fields" - the type transmitted by by cell phones - as a "possible" cause of cancer in humans.
Last week, the IARC convened a panel of 31 experts from 14 countries to look at existing evidence - no new research was conducted. The experts found that there was limited evidence of carcinogenicity among users of cell phones for two types of brain tumors, glioma and acoustic neuroma.
“Given the potential consequences for public health of this classification and findings, it is important that additional research be conducted into the long-term, heavy use of mobile phones,” IARC Director Chrisopher Wild said. “Pending the availability of such information, it is important to take pragmatic measures to reduce exposure such as hands-free devices or texting.”
A full IARC report will be published in the July 1 issue of The Lancet Oncology.
"The announcement is very preliminary and not conclusive. Clearly, more research is needed on the effects of cell phone use, especially in regards to the effects on children," said Max Wallace, CEO of Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure.